eCommerce2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google: Question 2-Competition

+13
andykorn87
Khanh Linh LAM
KaiCamenzind
Melvin Loggies
chaohungchen
Glen Yang
joern.esdohr
Xiaowei Wen
r99725051
patrick.cato
Josephine
Laurent Corigliano
aiko
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty Google: Question 2-Competition

Post  aiko Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

How should Google respond to the competition from:

Social networks(ex.Facebook)
Mobile services (ex. Smart phone, tablets platforms)
Cloud computing (ex. Microsoft office 365)
aiko
aiko

Back to top Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty My 2 cents

Post  pierrelin Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 pm

It almost seems as if Google dropped the ball in the sense that they decided to enter into Social Networking too late in the game. It is true that when they first launched, they experienced rapid growth in user registration, but active users remain a tiny percentage compared to FB to this day. Despite all the hoopla about Google+, I think they really missed the boat in trying to capture the users. I read somewhere in an article that described "playing with Google+ Circles is just like managing Twitter feeds." To be able to compete with FB, Google needs to allow for a more robust API in order to allow more apps/games to be developed for the platform. Having more attractive features that go against FB is one thing, but having apps/games that keep users coming back ad nauseum (ugh..Farmville) can help Google build more well rounded user profiles to help with their targeted ads.

As for their mobile services, Android seems to be taking off pretty steadily, and market share seem to be increasing as well. The advantage here being that Android is not just tied to one device only, as there are multiple mobile devices from different manufacturers that support it.

In terms of Cloud Services, I think of Google Docs. I see that they're constantly trying to improve its services, however, one thing that comes to mind is the format of the files. In most cases, users only use the convenience of being able to collaborate on Google Docs, however, that is almost never the final version being printed out or turned in. One of the things they need to improve is to maintain file fidelity. And if we were to just compare with Microsoft Office 365, Google would fail. File fidelity is a tricky thing, as the majority of the world still probably uses some version of Microsoft Office. In the real-time collaboration dept, Google has chat, and voice that can help enterprises/individuals work together on any document, however, Office 365 apparently offers all that and more. Coupled with Microsoft Lync, users of Office 365 can also do instant messaging, audio/video conferencing, web-session whiteboarding, as well as real-time presence information. The real advantage Google has over Microsoft is that it's free.

pierrelin

Back to top Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty Re: Google: Question 2-Competition

Post  Glen Yang Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am

I'm agreed with you.

And what else I want to point out is, we can see the success of their android phone
(connecting all Google's services, in fact it's what they are trying to do on Google+),
but is google going to view, say, TOYOTA and HITACHI as their competitors,
and take reaction or they'll be probabily too late(like someone said their reaction in social network is too late?)
since cloud computing is hot nowadays, there are a lot of chances to change the way we use cars and fridges,
they may develop like...Cloud Google Cars, or Cloud Google Fridges, and install Chrome OS in them. tongue

My point is, as I said at the very beginning, "Google always has ambitions to get into the market which they didn't belong to."
So before Google views someone as their new competitor, it has to think the pros and cons of getting into a new market.

Lisa Chen wrote:Concerning the social media, I think Google should stop worrying about that and focus more on their other divisions and on improving them or keep innovating. In the long run, Facebook shall win the competition, because first of all there is a switching hassle and also I don't think people want to update both Facebook and Google +.

As for mobile services, I think they are doing a great job. It has many benefits, and all the applications work perfectly, especially the ones connected to Google, obviously. But I mean most of the apps I use are connected with Google, such as Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude is also working very well, because of the good GPS connection. Competition is fierce with Apple, HTC etc. but I think Google has all the capabilities and knowledge to survive.

However, Cloud computing still has some improving to do, I think. Even though I like using Google Docs, for team projects or something, I don’t think it is as user-friendly as Microsoft. Also it is hard to compete with Microsoft Word etc as we all grew up with it and it has become a habit to open the “start-tab” and click on Microsoft Word.

Glen Yang

http://fb.me/upu.upu

Back to top Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty Re: Google: Question 2-Competition

Post  Melvin Loggies Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 am

To give a response your questions I believe that Google Voice can be a treath for phone operators. Many relative new applications
on mobile phones (like Ping, Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, etc) have made the use of your mobile phone different: you only have to got
a contract for the internet en paying for calls and text massages is not necessary any more. Google has anticipated correctly to
this change by making a free service(typical Google style) and providing some advantages over the other applications on the mobile
phones which deliver free services. For instance, you can call to someones mobile phone, landline phone and work phone on the same
time, so you don't have to call them in turn to find out where he's at. This is just one of the new features which has an advantage
over the other free services. For this reason I believe that Google Voice is more a threath for applications like Ping, Whatsapp,
Viber and Skype than it is for phone operators (because in my opinion these will be doomed in a few years).
However, Google should make this service more known by the people and of course make it a worldwide service(now only in USA and Canada).

Khanh Linh LAM wrote:About the mobile services, what do you think about Google Voice ? It's a phone service which uses Internet. Does it represent a threat for the phone operators ?

Melvin Loggies

Back to top Go down

Post  joern.esdohr Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 am

Glen Yang wrote:there are a lot of chances to change the way we use cars and fridges,
they may develop like...Cloud Google Cars, or Cloud Google Fridges, and install Chrome OS in them. tongue

My point is, as I said at the very beginning, "Google always has ambitions to get into the market which they didn't belong to."

Well, that is what Google is doing -- all the time. Google is developing an autonomous car and just recently published its own Arduino addon. Arduino is a enormously versatile IC board with which you can literally do and control anything, including garage doors, light shows, robots or washing machines and fridges.

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Android-open-accessory-arduino-google-io4028

On Google's IO Event this year, they presented their Home Automation efforts to bring Android into the living room, e.g. with a WiFi capable light bulb.

Thanks to their innovative spirit, they are not afraid to try very new and unfamiliar markets. That poses a big advantage in times of rapidly shifting technology markets.

joern.esdohr

Back to top Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty Some more questions~

Post  Ally Feng Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks everone for the active participation Very Happy
I would like to bring up some other questions....
Base on Google's current business model, the ultimate competition is for ad money.

<social marketing>
Google is the de facto winner in keyword marketing, but as you all mentioned it is losing the social marketing segment to Facebook.
But do you think in advertisers' point of view, these two types of marketing tactics are actually complements of each other, and not necessarily competing?
What I'm trying to say is, although it's undesirable for Google that it can't take all the online marketing spending, social marketing won't threaten its current revenue that much?

<mobile computing>
Android phone is gaining momentum to become a formidable threat to iPhone.
But the competition is for user traffic and then ad money, not necessarily the sales figures of smart phones.
In the end, iPhone users still use a lot of Google services, and apps also embbed google ads.
However, the openess of andorid eco-system might make it harder to provide an integrated and seamless user experience.
Do you think Google should do somehthing to fix that? Or just staying as a operating system provider in the eco-system is enough?

<cloud computing>
I totally agree that Google has much expertise in this area.
But for them to capitalize on it, either in the form of IaaS/PaaS/SaaS, the change of business model is needed.
And I guess paid users for cloud computing are more likely to be the enterprise, but Google really lack domain knowledge in those area since they're more used to deal with mass indvidual users.
Therefore, do you think it's hard for them to reap cash benefit from cloud computing directly except for supporting their own search & free services infrastructure ?

Ally Feng

Back to top Go down

Post  Josephine Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:46 am

Lisa Chen wrote:Concerning the social media, I think Google should stop worrying about that and focus more on their other divisions and on improving them or keep innovating. In the long run, Facebook shall win the competition, because first of all there is a switching hassle and also I don't think people want to update both Facebook and Google +.

As for mobile services, I think they are doing a great job. It has many benefits, and all the applications work perfectly, especially the ones connected to Google, obviously. But I mean most of the apps I use are connected with Google, such as Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude is also working very well, because of the good GPS connection. Competition is fierce with Apple, HTC etc. but I think Google has all the capabilities and knowledge to survive.

However, Cloud computing still has some improving to do, I think. Even though I like using Google Docs, for team projects or something, I don’t think it is as user-friendly as Microsoft. Also it is hard to compete with Microsoft Word etc as we all grew up with it and it has become a habit to open the “start-tab” and click on Microsoft Word.

Agree with you~ But I think Google+ should have a function that can post the comment on both Google+ and Facebook (like Plurk), maybe more people tend to use Google+ the share their life.

In the Cloud Services Area, Google has much expertise and since Google is a content provider, I think they will improve the services.
Josephine
Josephine

Back to top Go down

Post  r99725051 Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:48 am

hmmm, thanks for this exciting idea cyclops
I think cloud for Google is not his core competence, but his advantage.
The difference between core competence and advantage is core competence is that no one can copy or learn from Google, but advantage is his plus.
So of course there are so many other clouding service, as there are so many different clouds on the sky.
I really like cloud this word, observing sky, it can has so many clouds at the same time, they can live together peacefully, somehow A cloud will combine B cloud, and that's just like nowadays cloud services markets.
There are music clouds such as iTunes, online word processing cloud such as Google docs, also storage cloud such as dropbox. They might have some competition in likely cloud group, but between different cloud maybe cooperate is better than competition?
Xiaowei Wen wrote:When you talk about the cloud service, do you mean that Google has a absolute dominant position in the area?
Although Google is a company who loves the Cloud from the very beginning, and to put all its products and services into the Cloud is as natural as breathing and eating, do you think that it's not really facing any chanllenge?
From iTunes to App Store to iCloud this month, Apple's main target might be Google. Though it seems more expensive in all its products and has less free service, its target of structuring an OS in the Cloud sounds very competitive, what's your guys opinion?
Besides, whose Cloud service in the mobile device do you think will be more successful?

r99725051 wrote:Most of the time, Google isn't the first mover but a strong competitor.
Let's see mobile services first. After many years from iOS provided, Google released Android system. In mobile phone system, NOKIA was the king. When iPhone released, iOS grew very fast, then is Android .
iOS is a close system. Only Apple employee can see the code, unlike Android, it's a open source, improvement by everyone. Android also have another advantage: many different brands of mobile phone can use this system. So in mobile phone competition, smart phones with Android v.s. iPhone, Android is very competitive.
This year there is a survey showing that in Europe, the market share of Android goes over to iOS, becoming second of the market(NOKIA is still NO1 ).
Then is social network. Again, Google isn't the first one. After Facebook many years comes Google+. The biggest entry barrier for social network is amounts of users. Facebook is the biggest social network provider, but think about the user number of Google search engine.
In the other side, being the back mover, Google+ has enough time to observe Facebook user experience, they fixed many problems which users complain the most, like privacy, UI, and any annoyed problem you've felt.
About cloud service, is there any other powerful cloud services can compare to Google?
r99725051
r99725051

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Yang Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 am

joern.esdohr wrote:
Glen Yang wrote:there are a lot of chances to change the way we use cars and fridges,

Well, that is what Google is doing -- all the time. Google is developing an autonomous car and just recently published its own Arduino addon. Arduino is a enormously versatile IC board with which you can literally do and control anything, including garage doors, light shows, robots or washing machines and fridges.

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Android-open-accessory-arduino-google-io4028

On Google's IO Event this year, they presented their Home Automation efforts to bring Android into the living room, e.g. with a WiFi capable light bulb.

Thanks to their innovative spirit, they are not afraid to try very new and unfamiliar markets. That poses a big advantage in times of rapidly shifting technology markets.
Glen Yang
Glen Yang

Back to top Go down

Post  chaohungchen Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:56 am

I think with Google's great data centers, Google can develop a software which is like Dropbox.
Dropbox is a very user-friendly software. You can drag and drop any files in cloud just as in your local computer.
If Google can develop a software to let people put all of their files and operating system in cloud easily,
then Google can do up-selling and charge from their users for extra fee in storage sizes.

Ally Feng wrote:Thanks everone for the active participation Very Happy
I would like to bring up some other questions....
Base on Google's current business model, the ultimate competition is for ad money.

<social marketing>
Google is the de facto winner in keyword marketing, but as you all mentioned it is losing the social marketing segment to Facebook.
But do you think in advertisers' point of view, these two types of marketing tactics are actually complements of each other, and not necessarily competing?
What I'm trying to say is, although it's undesirable for Google that it can't take all the online marketing spending, social marketing won't threaten its current revenue that much?

<mobile computing>
Android phone is gaining momentum to become a formidable threat to iPhone.
But the competition is for user traffic and then ad money, not necessarily the sales figures of smart phones.
In the end, iPhone users still use a lot of Google services, and apps also embbed google ads.
However, the openess of andorid eco-system might make it harder to provide an integrated and seamless user experience.
Do you think Google should do somehthing to fix that? Or just staying as a operating system provider in the eco-system is enough?

<cloud computing>
I totally agree that Google has much expertise in this area.
But for them to capitalize on it, either in the form of IaaS/PaaS/SaaS, the change of business model is needed.
And I guess paid users for cloud computing are more likely to be the enterprise, but Google really lack domain knowledge in those area since they're more used to deal with mass indvidual users.
Therefore, do you think it's hard for them to reap cash benefit from cloud computing directly except for supporting their own search & free services infrastructure ?

chaohungchen
chaohungchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Glen Yang Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:57 am

And here is the Google Fridge
Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 E56e2943a33694569335da8bf4691745
Google is so busy.

Last edited by Glen Yang on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glen Yang
Glen Yang

Back to top Go down

Google: Question 2-Competition - Page 2 Empty dropbox

Post  zhieeep Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:15 am

On the topic of Dropbox, I'm surprised that Google has not made any formal attempts to quash the up and rising file sharing program. It seems like such a no-brainer for google to exploit its massive data centers and huge user base to offer a similar, if not better service than Dropbox. One might even argue that the gmail account with 7gbs of storage (and growing) is a form of dropbox, albeit lacking in synching folder contents ability. With the infrastructure completely in place, it wouldn't take much effort for Google to siphon some resources off to devote to this project, and yet they let it go.

But then again, Google has always been this way. They are hardly ever the inventor of something completely new. Rather they reinvent the wheel and make it better. When non-believers wonder about Facebook or Dropbox or any other sector where Google does not have a commanding league, I can only ask that you be patient. Google has shown in the long run that given the time and resources, it can do everything better. It would be facile to forget that Silicon Valley's talent pool is not incredibly deep, and the best engineers can be lured to the Mountain View Valley firm when the incentives are there.

Social networking is a bit trickier since it Facebook is trying to establish itself as our permanent online ID, and for that we only need one program, not two. It is a rare case of winner takes all and it might very well be too late to dethrone Facebook altogether with a rival program. Instead, Google should look to leverage its search specialty to scour the massive amounts of data on Facebook for advertisment revenue opportunities. The gold mine is there, and Google has the tools to extract the information more quickly and efficiently than any other player on the market.
zhieeep
zhieeep

Back to top Go down

Post  r99725051 Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:48 am

It's quite a huge amount about what Google is doing right now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products
Wiki provide a detail list about it.
From local software development, web services, to hardware, devices.
r99725051
r99725051

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2